I’m pretty excited about Soylent, a new liquid meal replacement, which has been successfully utilized by the founder for several months now and is being tested by a number of other individuals – to what appears to be largely positive reviews.
I don’t want to go completely to a meal replacement – but neither does Rhinehart, the inventor of Soylent – he still eats “normal food” but chooses healthier options and spends less.
This isn’t like a lot of other meal replacements which only partially provide the necessary ingredients/nutrients to maintain health, Rhinehart’s goal is something that could be used to entirely replace traditional foods.
I’m also excited b/c it seems pretty evident that the company is run by a bunch of young, energetic, intelligent idealists who I expect will take the company in some great directions – e.g. I’m psyched that they are releasing the “recipe” as open source.
That is about all I have to say at the moment. Product is supposed to begun mass delivery in August and I hope to have the opportunity to try it within a month or two thereafter…but I figured I’d write a short post so folks could explore what is currently occurring with Soylent if they so desired. 🙂
- Jack Clark. “Our Week With Soylent: Don’t Chuck Out Your Vintage Food Quite Yet.” The Register, 6/22/13.
- Caleb Melby. “A Week Without (Real) Food: I Survived (And Learned To Enjoy) Soylent.” Forbes, 6/10/13.
- Heather Kathryn Ross. “Is Powdered ‘Soylent’ The Food Of The Future?” HealthlineNews, 6/26/13.
- Elizabeth Preston. “If You Could Eat Only One Thing…” Slate, 6/18/13.
- Rob Rhinehart. “How I Stopped Eating Food.” Mostly Harmless, 2/13/13.
- Rob Rhinehart. “What’s In Soylent.” Mostly Harmless, 2/14/13.
- Rob Rhinehart. “Two Months of Soylent.” Mostly Harmless, 3/18/13.
- Rob Rhinehart. “Soylent Month Three.” Mostly Harmless, 4/25/13.
- Rob Rhinehart. “In Defense of New Food.” Mostly Harmless, 5/21/13.
- Soylent Blog.
- Soylent Corporate Website.
- Adrian Chen. “We Drank Soylent, The Weird Food Of The Future.” Gawker, 5/29/13.
- Alexandra Sifferlin. “Soylent: Is The ‘Food Of The Future’ Really a Nutrition Solution?” Time, 6/10/13.
- Monica Heisey. “The Post-Food Man: Drink Soylent, And You May Never Have To Eat Again.” Vice.